With the 5th November almost here Rochford District Council has issued advice to residents to consider animals when celebrating Bonfire Night.
Although many people enjoy fireworks the Council would urge everyone to think about pets and wildlife when planning a firework party by remembering the following points:
- Keep pets indoors with the curtains closed and turn on the TV or radio to drown out the noise.
- Warn neighbours that keep animals that you are having a firework party in plenty of time, so that they can exercise and settle them down before your party starts.
- Rabbits and other outdoor pets should be taken into garages or outbuildings.
- Never let off fireworks near animals.
- If any of your animals are particularly upset by fireworks ask your vet for advice.
- Build bonfires as late as possible and check that animals, like hedgehogs, have not gone into them.
- Always clear up after a firework party, litter is hazardous to both pets and wild animals.
For more help and advice on keeping pets safe you can visit the Blue Cross, RSPCA and Dogs Trust websites: