The Rotary Club of Rochford has started the fundraising drive in the quest to raise £250,000 to enable the Trustees of the Rochford Almshouses to bring the properties into the 21st Century.
The picture shows the President of the Rotary Club of Rochford, Alan Harvey OBE, handing over a cheque for £2,000 to John Howard, Chairman of the Trustees and tenant, Jean Guiver.
The Almshouses were donated to the poor of Rochford by Lord Ryche in 1578 and have been in continual use since then, with only minor improvements in the 1950s. It is now required to change the facilities from one person bedsits to one bedroom apartments with updated kitchen and bathrooms. The Almshouses have no outside funding and rely on local donations for the upkeep of the ancient listed building, so there is now an appeal for help to not only preserve this ancient property, but also to provide the tenants with modern living conditions